08 Dec 2007

The best wedding photographer

I've been pondering that statement for a while now!

I know of some wedding photographers who claim to be the best, some who aim to become the best and so forth. For me it is somewhat of a conundrum. I mean there is no "Olympic Games" of wedding photography and it is a form of art (well in most cases it is, although I've seen lots of wedding photos that surely can't wear that badge). This is the topic of the long rant to follow...

How do you rate any artist as being the best in their genre? Can you rate by most earned in a year, most earned per gig, best peer reviews, most competitions won etc? Unfortunately for wedding photography, a lot of these criteria can be mutually exclusive; I might earn more than my competitor, but he/she might have won more awards etc.

What also makes it difficult to "judge" is that great photography is a combination of art, technical expertise, equipment, environment, luck, etc. Depending on who's looking at the photo, some of these components will be deemed more important than others. Now add intense emotions during a wedding day and you really will get huge variation in opinions of an image.

Because it is an art form, we can also ask: "Who's to judge what image or photographer is better than another". Is it really a great photo captured by a great photographer or does it seem special because the bride was beautiful or because it was a really awesome setting; maybe the lighting was just right or the composition was great.

These days wedding photography is not pure photography, but part graphic design as well, with most photos being touched up or edited in Photoshop or the like. Now you add another degree of complexity to my question. Let me put it this way: who was the better artist: Picasso, Van Gogh or Michelangelo?

There are internationally known wedding photographers who are seen as leaders in the field by various peer groups. Something I see more these days, are photographers that copy these "top 10" wedding photographer's "recipies".

Joretha Taljaard Wedding Photography

For example some successful, international wedding photographer might present a workshop and a while later you'll see a lot of the eager photographers who attended, publishing shots in that style. Can those shots still be considered art, or have they now migrated more towards good technique and can you become one of the best by simply copying one of the best?

Copying another's style is a good way to improve your own skills, but I think that in order to grow in your trade and truly become one of the best wedding photographers, you have to incorporate "best of breed" influences and build it into your own unique style. You have to bring something unique to the party.

That is why I see my wedding photography development as a journey. I want to enjoy it, learn new things and leave behind a string of happy clients.
For I think that true success is achieved little by little with each satisfied couple sharing their special memories captured for prosperity. Consistently producing satisfied clients will expand your wedding photography business and inevitably lead to good reviews by peers.

I've just started my journey and still have lost to learn.

Have a great day en enjoy your own journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment